ZPE 1.5.2 is now available to download from my website. It is a huge update that brings so much (and removes so much). ZPE 1.5.2 is known by it's code name Pelegosto.
Let's start with what's being removed:
- string_concatenate - added in version 1.3.0, deprecated in version 1.5.0 and now removed in version 1.5.2.
- open_remote_client - added in version 1.5.0, deprecated in version 1.5.1 and now removed in version 1.5.2.
- open_remote_server - added in version 1.5.0, deprecated in version 1.5.1 and now removed in version 1.5.2.
Now for what's new:
- Serialisation and deserialisation of objects and structures: objects and structures can now be saved to disk and retrieved later. This feature is a particular favourite of mine.
- Custom keywords: finally you can customise the compiler with your own keywords and how they are interpreted. This feature is in it's early days, but it works as expected.
- Constructors for structures: now you can instantiate a structure with a set of parameters. This feature was requested by one of the original testers of ZPE, wondering why it was you couldn't do this. Well now I've done it.
- General improvements that fix a few bugs
- Performance improvements, particularly with mathematics
- The jget ZAC, based on CURL. This ZAC is designed to download a file from the central repository of ZPE tools and features. For instance running
zpe -jget stdLib.zexwill download the compiled standard library (now over 400 lines long).
ZPE 1.5.3 is already underway and it's main focuses are on better structures and ZPEObjects as well as a much better compiler. So far in ZPE 1.5.3 the new -l argument for the compiler. This allows you to compile an application into a library, meaning the main function will not be included for efficiency.